September 11, 2015

"Football is stupid?  What's stupid about football?  What football celebrates is teamwork and character.  That's what it celebrates.  You live in Texas now. You love the game of football now.  You just don't know it yet."
Coach Eric Taylor, Friday Night Lights
   As an eighth grade band student, Shelbi was invited (required?) to play with the high school marching band during the homecoming game.  She doesn't love football and wasn't exactly looking forward to this.
  Our family took this opportunity to go to our first Texas high school football game.  The stadium was impressive.  The photo above is the visitors' stands.  I'm pretty sure my high school visitor's seating was some splintered wooden bleachers with seating for a hundred people.  Also, this stadium features concessions stands, a video instant replay, VIP suites, and tv/radio broadcasts.  Perhaps this is standard for high schools these days.  I don't know.

 Isn't she cute??
  Knowing this was the homecoming game, I was especially anxious to see the mums up close.  The best way I can explain mums is that they're corsages on steroids.  The tradition began with boys giving chrysanthemums to their dates before the game, but has evolved into Texas-sized craziness.  The dates make them for each other.  The boys wear armbands and the girls pin them to their shirts, although with the weight of them, I have no idea how they get them to stay.  
  I very slyly took these pictures with my phone.  These mums aren't even the biggest one we saw tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment