September 23, 2013

Yay!
 Now I know this may not be that exciting to most people, but I've envisioned a desk very similar to this for sewing/scrapbooking since we moved here.  I wanted something sturdy, with a smooth, durable top.  This fits the bill perfectly.  And it looks cool in a retro kind of way.  
  This is a genuine Steelcase desk from 1965.  I looked into getting one that was already refurbished but they can go for a couple thousand dollars.  Imagine my delight when I found one for sale on  Craigslist for $150, and within driving distance.  

  I tried spray painting it myself, but realized pretty quickly that it wasn't going to look as good as I wanted it to.  So I picked a painter out of the phone book to send it off to be sprayed.  I was so nervous all weekend that it wasn't going to turn out like I wanted.  But it came back this evening exactly like I dreamed.  I'm giddy.
  A couple extra cool things about this desk; 1) It has a hook underneath where your knees go.  I can just imagine 1960s secretaries coming to work, hanging their purse on the very convenient hook.  2) It reminds me of the desk that was in my parent's den growing up, right down to the slide out tray (where the ward directory was taped) and the dividers in the middle drawer where pencils and paperclips were kept.  Sitting at it, I feel like I did 20 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. My first thought was that it was just like the one in Mom and Dad's den. Now, you have the perfect place to sit when one of your kids needs a "Den Talk."

    Seriously--SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEXY!! (As Makell would say when something is very cool and perfect in every way) I absolutely love it! Everything from the price to the idea of the secretary hanging her pocketbook on the hook! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete