March 8, 2014

   Since everywhere in Texas and Oklahoma has Spring Break at the same time, we decided to go a little further in hopes of smaller crowds.  We drove to Gallup, New Mexico, last night and got up early this morning to drive the rest of the way to the Grand Canyon.  I admit that the Grand Canyon makes me nervous.  I can't believe that they don't have people falling in it all the time.  You should see some of the narrow trails that run along the rim, with no guard rails.  
   When we told the kids we were going to the Grand Canyon, they pictured it to be like Palo Duro canyon here in Amarillo.  They were seriously disappointed when they found out we wouldn't be doing any climbing.  They had no idea what to expect.  I wish I had a picture of the totally amazed look on Shelbi's face when she first looked down into the Grand Canyon.  She quickly understood why we wouldn't be climbing from the bottom to the top.

   Can you see those itty-bitty people out on those rocks?  You couldn't pay me enough money to go out like that.
 On the shuttle bus, going from point to point along the rim.



 A nervous Erik, who didn't want to get close to the guard rail.  I get it, buddy.


 Messing around.  The kids were really about three feet off the ground.
Aaannnndddd,…done.

1 comment:

  1. We went to the Grand Canyon when Pepper was 3 1/2. I don't think he remembers a single thing about the canyon itself, but that shuttle bus had him talking for weeks.

    ReplyDelete