January 5, 2012

Tonight as I was finishing up the dinner dishes, I had a sudden flash of my childhood. The hum of the dishwasher and the placing of the table centerpiece was a familiar, evening occurence. I got to thinking about my own kids and their childhoods. It's still strange for me to think that I'm the mom now and this is their only childhood. My mom had it down. She read bedtime stories, hung "Happy Birthday" signs, took us to the dentist regularly, did our hair everyday, and every other thing a mom is supposed to do. I don't think I'm doing too badly, but sometimes I feel like I'm just practicing and once I have it figured out, then I'll officially be the mom.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I remember Mom at my age, and she just had it down. I told Brad the other night that I don't feel like I know enough to be The Mom. And I look at my kids and am a little surprised that they are The Children I always imagined I'd have when I grew up.

    I'm a little bugged that Mom made it look so easy. I need to talk to Jeff (brother) because he has some good stories of giving Mom a run for her money. Mom in his stories sounds a lot more like the dumbfounded mother that I feel like most of the time. I guess Jeff had a way of tripping up even the most competent parent. He'd say it was a gift.

    Oh, and cute, CUTE table, btw. I agree with Jen that a plus to your new blog is that I get to see your house and all the cool stuff you've done. I still want to see it in person, though.

    ReplyDelete