May 31, 2012

  Another awards assembly at school ending in tears.  I kind of hate this day.  It's supposed to be a time to recognize the achievements of the kids and celebrate.  But my girls go into it already expecting to get certain awards and it just ends up a disappointment.  Last year Sydney saw kids getting trophies for certain awards, and she got certificates for her achievements.  When I went to congratulate her afterwards, I saw her in tears and asked her what was wrong.  She said, "What good is a stupid certificate going to do me?!"  So she was determined to get a trophy this year and of course she picked the hardest way to get it, 100% attendance.  She was in school every day this year.  When they were announcing the "winners" of this award, my heart was just pounding, waiting for Syd's name to be called, hoping there wasn't a mistake.  When the final name was read, and it wasn't Sydney's, I knew we had trouble.  After the assembly she was trying to be really brave and happy with what she did get, but I knew she was sad.  When I timidly asked her teacher about it she said that if Sydney was checked out early any day (which she was, twice) that would affect her attendance record.  I knew all year that she was going for this, so on those days that I checked her out a couple of hours early, I asked specifically if this still counted as attending school for the day, and was told yes.  But we're not going to make a big deal about it.  Sydney's over it, and I guess so am I.
  Shelbi was near tears, but for another reason.  This is her last year of elementary school and she was feeling a little melancholy.  I remember every school year, except last year, she would come home crying on the last day of school because she was so sad for it to be over.  I'm so glad that she feels that way again because that means it was a good year.
Here's Sydney trying to hold it together after the assembly.
Shelbi before the tears.

2 comments:

  1. Syddo's little face is breaking my heart. That is so not fair. And even if you fought it and they gave her the award late, the moment when her name is called in front of the whole school will never happen. Ugh. That sucks. Give her a hug from Aunt Jill. And now I need a hug, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience with Abigail last week, although ours had a nicer ending. She was really excited to be recognized in the school assembly for getting 100% attendance, but I was worried they would forget her or something would go wrong and we would have tears when her name wasn't called. They called the first group up who had missed only one day of school all year (but I didn't hear that part...I thought it was the 100% attendance group) and her name wasn't called and I thought my nightmare was coming true. As I was walking up to her teacher to say something, they started calling up the perfect attendance group and her name was called right as I got to her teacher. So glad I didn't have to say anything, but I know she would have been devastated had she not received the award after all her efforts. And it's just not the same if your mom has to say something and they give you an award later on... I checked about taking her out of school for two hours for a doctor's appointment to make sure that wouldn't undermine her perfect attendance but I was nervous like you that the few hours gone would count against her perfect attendance. The things we think about to help our kids! Ok, this is a long post that is meant to say "I understand completely!" Blasted school awards.

    ReplyDelete