August 23, 2012


  Tonight was Meet the Teacher night for the elementary kids and for Shelbi, who's going into middle school, they called it "Stuff Your Locker" night.  My understanding was that the kids would bring their school supplies to put in their lockers and get a chance to meet their teachers.  But it turned out to be another example of Texas craziness and over-the-topness (not an official word).  Sure others brought their school supplies, but they also brought "wallpaper," mini chandeliers, rugs (yes, rugs!), shelves, mirrors, magnets, etc. to decorate the inside of the locker.  Take a look inside of Shelbi's friend's locker.  She was just starting the wallpaper but she already had the curtains and chandelier up.
 And the parents were as involved as the kids.  I purchased a shelf and mirror for Shelbi to put in her locker but we didn't bring it with us because we weren't sure if they allowed that kind of thing. 

This reminded me of when I had Bailey.  All of the other hospital doors in the maternity ward were decorated with HUGE wreaths, like this (small) example:
  And when the girls here go to the high school homecoming dance, they don't just wear corsages.  They wear these monstrosities called mums.  Here's a picture I found on a website of a floral shop that makes these:
  Yes, this is for real.  All the craft stores around here are stocked with the makings for these things right now. It's my understanding that they wear these to school before the dance and to the homecoming game.  Hopefully they're not expected to lug these around all night at the dance.
  Yes, even the traditions in Texas are big.

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. I have seen those "mum" things around here - floral shops, craft stores - and I thought they were for HORSES!

    This is officially the weirdest thing I've seen in Texas so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the bigger they are the cooler you are. Let's just say I was not very cool in high school.

    ReplyDelete