October 10, 2012

  The point of these pictures is not to show you how messy my house is.  It's just a glimpse at what things look like at 6:00 PM, the culmination of kids coming home from school, tossing their stuff wherever they please and filling the kitchen sink with snack dishes.


I also happened to take a picture of the table set for dinner. This is about what it looks like every night.  There are no plates because we dish up from the stove and only the utensils I know we'll use.  It would be an interesting comparison to a picture of the set dinner table when I was growing up.  There would be full place settings, milk in a pitcher, and any condiments in bowls with spoons.  When I visited my parents this Summer, my mom was looking for a bowl to put sour cream in.  When I suggested we just put the tub of sour cream on the table  as it was, she gave me a look that said, "We don't do that."  My mom is not hoity-toity, but she knows how to make things nice.

1 comment:

  1. Jode, you have a tablecloth? I never use a tablecloth or placemats, and whenever I plunk the plates on my bare-naked table, I imagine Mom's lovely set tables at home and feel like a schmuck. I have NEVER put sour cream in a bowl, nor jam, nor brown sugar, nor anything that comes packaged in its own container. And, milk is always in the jug. Yep, we pretty much live like animals compared to Mom.

    ReplyDelete