December 13, 2012

  Today was Spelling Bee day.  Not my favorite.  But as I got to thinking about this, I decided it's a good thing that schools still have Spelling Bees.  It seems like there's so much emphasis these days on making all the kids equal and being careful not to let any child feel inferior in any way.  Too much coddling.  But a Spelling Bee allows kids to experience a competition where there is only one winner, and that person is usually someone who worked hard.  It's a good lesson.
  I won't reveal what a bad parent I am for not having a lot of confidence in Sydney's spelling.  I wouldn't dare tell you that Jeff and I were nervous that she might not even be able to spell her practice round word.  I will tell you that she's not necessarily a natural speller.  So, needless to say, I wasn't very nervous about today because my expectations were low.  (Wow, that sounds terrible.)  She made it through the first round, spelling "end," and got out on "amass" the second round.  She wasn't heartbroken, so I'd call it a success.
She's wearing yellow and black because she wanted to look like a bee.
 We also got to go to Shelbi's Christmas band concert.  It was short and sweet.  She has loved taking band and learning the flute and is pretty good at it, if I do say so myself.


Day 13: Family
Getting ice cream following the concert

2 comments:

  1. I love that Syd dressed like a bee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just so happened that I was listening to The Holly and the Ivy being played on a flute right as I scrolled to Shelbi's picture. She IS awesome!

    ReplyDelete