December 22, 2012

Day 22: Tradition

 Our tradition is actually to make gingerbread houses on Christmas Eve, but Jeff has to work that day this year so we did them a few days early.
  This little trick has changed the way we make our ginger houses forever.  I saw it in a magazine a couple of years ago.  You just melt sugar in an old frying pan and use it as the glue for the houses.  The kids came up with their own house plans.  I helped them cut their graham crackers and Jeff and I constructed the houses.  It's too dangerous for the kids to do themselves, but it's quick work and dries nearly instantly.  There's no more houses collapsing from wimpy frosting and the kids can just concentrate on adding as much candy as they possibly can. 





2 comments:

  1. How much do I love the photo of Ryan? There are no words! And, your melted sugar thing looks brilliant. Do you have a secret for cutting the graham crackers so they don't break?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your houses are fancy! We've resorted to 3 glueguns plugged around the table. I'll have to try the sugar method next year. I threw ours away tonight and it made me feel a little sad.

    I love your bar stools!

    ReplyDelete